Who’s Has the Most Influence Across the Twittersphere?
Who’s Has the Most Influence Across the Twittersphere? There’s no doubt that social media has revolutionised how the rich and famous communicate with their followings. We all like to listen in to what the biggest stars, sportspersons and politicians are saying.
But who is the most influential? And who spends more time talking about themselves and self-promoting than worrying about the world they live in?
A new interactive tool developed by price comparison site Go Compare hopes to give the low down on today’s top celebrities. You might not be surprised to find that Katy Perry and Justin Bieber are number 1 and 2 on the list. But did you know that Barack Obama was at number 3.
The ex-president has over 98 million followers and gets an average 10,800 retweets per post. His highest performing was a Nelson Mandela quote that was retweeted over 1.7 million times.
The interactive tool looked at the top 50 most followed people on Twitter and examined their last one thousand tweets. A number of categories were set up including what people tend to post about and how often they get retweeted. Go Compare also created a word cloud to discover what each celebrity’s most favourite words were.
Here are just some of the highlights:
- Justin Bieber is one of the most retweeted celebrities on the planet, averaging a staggering 50,000 per tweet. Most of his messages tend to be self-promotional, more recently for his Purpose Tour. As you may expect, the guy rarely gets personal or talks about politics.
- Ariana Grande, who’s 11th on the list, is more likely to talk about personal stuff with a little self-promotion thrown in. Her most used word is love and her most retweeted message came following the Manchester bomb attack during her concert in 2017.
- Despite his animosity towards Barack Obama, Donald Trump comes way behind his predecessor on Twitter at number 17. Great and tax figure in his most used words and you won’t be surprised to learn that 98% of his messages are political. He does tend to get retweeted nearly twice as much as Obama though.
- Cristiano Ronaldo is the highest ranking sportsperson. The footballer boasts just under 68 million followers and most of his messages are self-promotional and about his CR7 brand. When he posted a picture of his newly born twins, however, it was retweeted over 169,000 times.
- Women figure more highly in the top fifteen list with 10 entries including comedienne Ellen Degeneres, singer Lady Gaga and pop diva Shakira. Katy Perry is top of the entire list with over 108 million followers although she is actually one of the least retweeted.
The top fifty celebrities and influencers are followed by 1.8 billion people from around the world. While many are purely into self-promotion, others are more likely to post political comments or talk about personal issues.
If you’ve ever wondered what the most influential on social media get up to, the interactive tool from GoCompare is a good way to check in on your favourite and not so favourite celebrities.